RE: Emacs Explorer?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Emacs Explorer?
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:56:43 -0700

Thanks for the info, Jason! I wasn't aware of dired-dd.

I just downloaded it and checked it out.

FYI - It does a lot more than the minor tweaks I mentioned (in particular,
it does drag-&-drop). (It also does less than some of my code; it's
~complementary, in fact.)

I can't say that I would propose the dired-dd user interface as a model for
an Emacs Explorer (or its code as a model of elisp programming!), but it's
good to see a drag-&-drop prototype.

I realize that you didn't propose dired-dd as a model. Do you actually use
it?

I'd like to see something in Dired as user-friendly and useful as what
Windows Explorer offers. Things like drag-&-drop can be quite error prone,
so the user interface needs to be very good (good feedback etc.).

Code like dired-dd (and my dired+) provides only baby steps toward the
functionality of WE - Emacs dev could do a lot better. WE is a model to copy
or learn from; dired-dd is probably not.

Thanks,

  Drew

P.S. Hope you don't mind my cc'ing the list.