Re: Menu suggestion

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Menu suggestion
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 12:51:25 +0000 (UTC)

   I am eager to achieve maximum efficiency in Emacs editing,
   but I don't see how an asymmetrical layout of C-f C-b C-n C-p
   C-a C-e C-v M-v is better for cursor motion than logically placed
   arrow keys...

You have to move your hand further to reach the arrow keys than the
control or meta keys.  This is the big factor.

(And this, by the way, is why some people prefer the VI movement
bindings.  So long as you do not edit, you do not even have to move
your little finger to the left of your `A' key or your left thumb down
below your `X' key.

(However, I found that I edit and type at the same time, so using VI
bindings meant I had to change mode at almost every word, which was
less efficient than the Emacs bindings.  As far as I can see, the VI
keybindings are fine for people who separate editing and typing.  In
generations past, many secretaries were trained not to edit by
themselves so typing and editing were separate.)

    As I slowly update it,                     address@hidden
        I rewrite a "What's New" segment for   http://www.rattlesnake.com