Re: Menu suggestion

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Menu suggestion
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 06:44:48 -0400

    I am eager to achieve maximum efficiency in Emacs editing,
    but I don't see how an asymmetrical layout of C-f C-b C-n C-p
    C-a C-e C-v M-v is better for cursor motion than logically placed
    arrow keys:

    home  up  pgup
    left      right
     end down pgdn

The arrow keys are perfectly logical, but efficiency is a different
question.  They are less efficient because they require you to move
your hand to another position.

On laptops the hand movement is smaller, but it is still significant.

For occasional users, the logical nature of the arrow keys makes them
better.  For peoplw who use Emacs for hours a day, it is worth
learning the old Emacs bindings.