Re: Changes to emacs/lisp/progmodes/grep.el

From: Daniel Pfeiffer
Subject: Re: Changes to emacs/lisp/progmodes/grep.el
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 10:28:37 +0200

Saluton,

Stefan <address@hidden> skribis:

> > This was Stef's idea for users of transient-mark-mode.  It has the
> > advantage of staying around longer, but your approach is more useful for
> > everyone.
>
> My original use of transient-mark-mode for such errors was for sml-mode.el
> where the region specified by an error can span several screenfuls of text
> (narrowing down such error reports to something more useful is actively
> being worked on, but is still a research problem).  In such a case it is
> very useful to be able to jump to each end of the region.

This is of course a very special usage, but uncontestably useful to you.

> So using transient-mark-mode was just very natural and had the added
> advantage of being extremely easy to code.

Juri's patch was no harder to code, if you look at how little he changed
there.  My annoyance is that 0.5s is too short, so I would like to change the
semantics of compilation-highlight-regexp and the corresponding parameters to
be not t, but the duration.  Or simply make it much longer, because it's
sit-for, so it goes away as soon as the user does something.

As for tmm, what shall we do?  I feel that treating hits with column
information and without the same way, assuming first to last column in the
latter case is "clean".  With an overlay it doesn't hurt at all.

If we then however make it an option between overlay or tmm, that would mean
you'd get tmm for every compiler output line.  Would you find this annoying?

coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
Daniel Pfeiffer

--
lerne / learn / apprends / lär dig / ucz się    Esperanto:
                              http://lernu.net/