Re: Changes to emacs/lisp/progmodes/grep.el

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Changes to emacs/lisp/progmodes/grep.el
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 12:07:46 +0300

address@hidden (Daniel Pfeiffer) writes:
> Stefan <address@hidden> skribis:
>> So using transient-mark-mode was just very natural and had the added
>> advantage of being extremely easy to code.
>
> Juri's patch was no harder to code, if you look at how little he changed
> there.  My annoyance is that 0.5s is too short, so I would like to change the
> semantics of compilation-highlight-regexp and the corresponding parameters to
> be not t, but the duration.  Or simply make it much longer, because it's
> sit-for, so it goes away as soon as the user does something.

Please look at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-06/msg00970.html
Is it ok for you?

> As for tmm, what shall we do?  I feel that treating hits with column
> information and without the same way, assuming first to last column in the
> latter case is "clean".  With an overlay it doesn't hurt at all.
>
> If we then however make it an option between overlay or tmm, that would mean
> you'd get tmm for every compiler output line.  Would you find this annoying?

To be able to jump to the end of the region it is enough to simply set
the mark at the other end, but activating the region for no reason is
too annoying for users of transient-mark-mode since they should
deactivate the mark by typing `C-g' after every match visit in the
source buffer.

So what is needed is to replace (push-mark end-mk nil t) with
(push-mark end-mk) and use highlighted overlay in all cases.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/