Re: Gnus branch

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Gnus branch
Date: 19 Aug 2004 14:26:18 -0400

>     I'm not sure how to handle the ChangeLog entries from Emacs/trunk:
> Assuming that all the changes that we want are in the branch now,
> and that the ChangeLog file in that branch describes those changes,
> you should copy the ChangeLog file unmodified into the trunk
> just as you copy the source files unmodified into the trunk.

> However, it sounds like you're saying we have not yet reached that point:

>     Some other (maybe) important changes (by Stefan Monnier, Juanma
>     Barranquero, Kim F. Storm, Sam Steingold, ...) have not been installed
>     yet.

> Can you identify these changes and merge the ones we need
> into the branch?

Just to clarify: my suggestion is to first merge the gnus branch on the
trunk and then re-install the local changes that haven't made their way to
the Gnus repository yet.

For clarity of the history (i.e. to make future integration easier) it is
important to have a Gnus branch that only contains code that comes from the
Gnus repository.  So we should either create a second Gnus branch (one for
importing from the repository and a temporary one to do the current
integration work before committing it to the trunk) or instead to just do
the integration work directly on the trunk, which is easier.

        Stefan