Re: Putting blink-cursor-mode in Options menu.

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Putting blink-cursor-mode in Options menu.
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 19:24:04 +0000 (UTC)

Jason Rumney wrote,

   If we added everyone's pet option to the Options menu, ...

It is not so simple.  It is misleading to think of this as an `any
person pet option'.  It is not like whether someone prefers to use
`dodgerblue3' or `dodgerblue4' as the background for his or her
`w3-style-face-00001'.

For bug reports, I specifically start Emacs without any options,
except that I cannot stand blinking cursors so I use "-Q" or "-q
--no-site-file --eval '(blink-cursor-mode 0)'".

Moreover, I find it very easy to locate a standard box cursor that
does not blink, whether in Emacs or in other programs.  Evidentally,
there are some people who cannot find such things, just as there are
people who avoid Web pages with <blink> text.  That is why the option
exists.

    New users will be used to blinking cursors from the other apps
    they use ...

We did not have blinking cursors when I was a new user and I do not
see them when I try out new programs.  For example, I just ran
`camorama' and it has a solid cursor.  Indeed, I have never seen a
blinking cursor on this X Windows display other than in Emacs.  (Which
is good.  Obviously, Luc and I are not the only people who dislike
blinking cursors.)

The option should return to what it was,     (blink-cursor-mode 0)
but if not that, then the blinking cursor should be easy to turn off
when you do not have a .emacs file and have not yet learned how to
write one.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8