Re: GTK file selector

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GTK file selector
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 23:23:28 +0100

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

>  >  > Why do they abandon it?  And what do they prefer instead?
>  >
>  > They abandon it because of stagnant development, the design and
>  > implementation clusterfuck that is Mule from the perspective of
>  > European language users (search for ö not working again!) and
>  > minimal consideration for GUI users in this age of 17"
>  > screens. Among other reasons.
>
> Over the last three years that I've been contributing to Emacs,
> development has been pretty active.

Which would rather explain why people are abandoning it: those three
years of development have never been released.

> Without doing market research, any notion that people are abandoning
> Emacs can only be anecdotal.

Debian by now has "emacs-snapshot" as a package.  People _are_
abandoning released versions of Emacs, also because of problems in the
utf-8 department.  CVS trunk is much better than anything that has
been released, but few system administrators will, even when tempted
to use it themselves, unleash an unreleased Emacs unto their users.

> Perhaps you're bitter that XEmacs does seemed to have slowed down,
> but please remember this list is for contributing to Emacs
> development, not to knock it down.

XEmacs at least sports more or less regular releases from their
increasingly stagnant development code base.

"Waiting for Emacs" would make for a scintillating piece of absurd
theater, with the particularly rememberable line "Code, pig!".  I have
not yet figured out where XEmacs would come into play, though.

ESTRAGON:
    Charming spot. (He turns, advances to front, halts facing
    auditorium .) Inspiring prospects. (He turns to Vladimir.) Let's
    release.

VLADIMIR:
    We can't.

ESTRAGON:
    Why not?

VLADIMIR:
    We're waiting for Bugfixes.

ESTRAGON:
    (despairingly). Ah! (Pause.) You're sure it was here?

VLADIMIR:
    What?

ESTRAGON:
    That we were to wait.

VLADIMIR:
    He said from the trunk. (They look at the CVS tree.) Do you see any others?

ESTRAGON:
    What is it?

VLADIMIR:
    I don't know.  A branch.