Re: Q on performance with 10000 faces

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Q on performance with 10000 faces
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 18:48:11 -0500 (CDT)

Drew Adama wrote:

       Most likely this can't be seen on an elisp profile.
       To get a C profile, add "-pg -DPROFILING=1" to your CFLAGS.

   Sorry, I don't know how to do that. I'm not using C (or building Emacs).

You could try to see whether anything in the code you load in your
.emacs calls one of the text property search functions in a loop
(10000 times in your case).  For instance

\(next\|previous\)-\(char-\)?property-change.

If this happens from a hook or timer, it definitely could give you trouble,

You could grep the code loaded by your .emacs for these and related
text property search functions.

I can definitely see why things might get slow for you if you would
make parts of your buffer invisible (would probably make line-move
slow) or when you would try to copy a large part of your buffer by
yanking (remove-yank-excluded-properties would be doing a lot of work).

Sincerely,

Luc.