Re: configure.in support for FreeBSD ia64/sparc64/powerpc

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: configure.in support for FreeBSD ia64/sparc64/powerpc
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 22:19:30 +0100

>> > If this has not been tested on all versions of Solaris that we
>> > currently support, that won't be a good idea at this point in the
>> > release process.
>>
>> Oh well. "flushw" is a hardware instruction of Sparc-V9, and the code
>> was now tested on Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris. Do you really expect
>> that there is a difference between different Solaris versions?

> As long as it has not been tested, it's not prudent to change.

Why did you then ask for a test on Solaris at all, if you are not
interested in the answer? It means some effort to do such a test,
which could have been saved.

And how should it get testing on all Solaris versions, unless the
change is committed? I'd guess that no single person has all Solaris
versions at her disposal.

Ulrich