Re: Guile in Emacs

From: christian.lynbech
Subject: Re: Guile in Emacs
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 12:28:16 +0200

>> Scheme is a smaller starting point than Common Lisp.
> So with a common lisp system you get:
> 1) compilation to machine code
> 2) standardized implementation of classes
> 3) structures, hashes
> 4) Exceptions
> With a scheme system you get
> 1) call-with-current-continuation

This is probably a little unfair to Scheme.

I do not know where the latest scheme standard is wrt. OO and exceptions
but many concrete implementations will have solutions for most of
this. Again, in practice, there just is a bunch of stuff you need and
whether you put it into the standard or bolt it onto your concrete
implementation is not all that important.

There are also scheme implementation that compile to native code and
although Guile isn't among them, it has a reasonable enough performance
on modern hardware that you for instance can successfully run a window
manager implemented in Guile (which I did for a couple of years).

Christian Lynbech       | christian #\@ defun #\. dk
                                        - address@hidden (Michael A. Petonic)