Re: Guile in Emacs

From: christian.lynbech
Subject: Re: Guile in Emacs
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:34:00 +0200

>>>>> "David" == David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

David> Did you bother to read my posting to its end before replying to the
David> first sentence?  I should think that I already addressed this.

My apologies if I have misunderstood something; I did read all of the
mail.

You wrote in the second paragraph:

> Otherwise, only programmers can be expected to be able to use it.  One
> reason for that is that non-Emacs specific Lisp manuals will not focus
> about how to get things done with Emacs.  Applying a manual utterly
> without editing focus to editing tasks is quite a large intellectual
> feat.

I would imagine that the system came with several manuals, a generic one
for common lisp (for instance the hyperspec) and a more emacs specific
one for the editing libraries (such as the buffer related functions).

Why would it make a big difference whether (say) `loop' and
`current-buffer' appear in different manuals as long as both are
available in the system and there are some appropriate top-level
index/search/contents/reading-guide support for the user?

It is even possible in some distant future that one would like to
unbundle some of the core emacs functionality (again take the buffer
functions as somewhat poor example) into standalone libraries that could
be made available to other applications supporting the same extension
language. In that case one would actually want to split up the current
emacs lisp manual into separate manuals that could accompany the
respective libraries.

Christian Lynbech       | christian #\@ defun #\. dk
                                        - address@hidden (Michael A. Petonic)