fle3-dev

Re: [Fle3-dev] Using LDAP with Fle3

From: Jukka K Purma
Subject: Re: [Fle3-dev] Using LDAP with Fle3
Date: Wed Aug 14 11:37:02 2002

> > benefit of plugging LDAP into Fle3 is that teachers and students could
> > use the same login and password that they use everywhere else on the
> > network. No small benefit in my view.
>
> Agreed. In fact we realized a while ago that this feature is crucial;
> therefore it is already implemented.
>
> To take advantage of this feature, just select "Use existing user database"
> instead of "Create new user database" in Fle3 creation form.
>
> I haven't tested it myself, Tarmo who has coded this feature is currently
> on a vacation, but please free to ask for help if you run into troubles...

We're also using this feature in somewhat reversed order in
Connet. We use FLE:s add new user -features to create accounts that other
Zope products in the same server use. When updating FLE we exported
existing database, deleted FLE-instance, made new updated FLE-instance
and imported back that previous database. Since we used acl_users in
root-folder for user accounts it remained untouched in update process.
But when we imported database, it checked if there is already users with
same account and gave an error when it found that all of the users were
there already. It was simple to override those checks, but it can give you
quite a scare if unprepared.

Check dev-archive from previous week,
somewhere there are lines that you should change to get the import work.
Because your introductory post came yesterday, I presume you weren't here
then.

(And because of I'm a bit proud of my first self-made changes to FLE:s
python source.)

Jukka Purma
http://www.connet.edu.helsinki.fi/