Re: [fluid-dev] Re: What is the best way start fluidsynth with zero/low

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Re: What is the best way start fluidsynth with zero/low latency? (Louis B.)
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 21:08:22 +0200

On Saturday, May 23, 2009, Louis B. wrote:
> Thanks for the info. I have just update the wiki with information on
> how to run fluid on a netbook. see
> http://fluidsynth.resonance.org/trac/wiki/LowLatency. Please correct
> it if it is wrong or you want to add anything else.

"Also halving the sample rate with the flag '-r22050' helps a lot."

I doubt the above advice would be beneficial for latency. On the contrary,
running FluidSynth with a native sound card sample rate will give the better
results, because reducing the sample rate requires ALSA to perform software
interpolation (by the plughw: layer) to transform the buffers into the native
frequency before sending it to the hardware. This requires larger buffers and
consumes CPU cycles. On the other hand, using the native frequency allows you
to use the hw: interface directly.

By the way, which netbook are we talking about? Which Linux distro?

Regards,
Pedro