freeride-devel

RE: [FR-devel] The current status of the FreeRIDE

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [FR-devel] The current status of the FreeRIDE
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 01:54:51 -0800

NISHIO Mizuho wrote:
> Because I have some spare time, now I am trying to port rbbr.rb
> (Ruby/GTK Class Browser, which is included in Ruby/GTK tar.gz)
> to FreeRIDE and make the wrapper of
> YARD(Yet Another Ruby Debugger. See RAA).
>
> In this ML, it seems that FOX is used for the first release of
> the FreeRIDE. According to this policy, FXRuby/FXScintilla is being
> deveolped. But, Vruz forked Rouge Project in Wiki Page and Rouge-ML.
>
> So, I have a question. The first release of FreeRIDE is developed
> by using FOX, or is not released until the framework of Rouge Project
> is provided? If FreeRIDE adopts FOX, I will use it as the GUI of
> rbbr.rb and the wrapper of YARD. Otherwise, I want to know the summary
> of the current status of the Rouge project(Though I get the past
> mails of Rouge-ML, it is difficult for me to read them.
> They are too many. ;-) )

We are temporarily using FOX. It could become a permanent choice if FOX can
support internationalization soon enough (it is planned for FOX, but there
is no timeline).

I am currently working a very primitive, initial developer release of the
FreeRIDE GUI shell (although keeping up with the Rouge-ML has probably set
me back a week or so). I'm trying to design FreeRIDE's GUI to be separate
from the back-end rendering of the GUI, so that it will be easy to replace
the GUI rendering toolkit.

> P.S.
> In my opinion, the cross-platform, lightweight, and intenationalized
> Ruby's GUI library is definitely needed. But, we should continue to
> develop the prototype of the FreeRIDE even if we don't have
> Rouge's framework.

Absolutely, FreeRIDE will continue forward, currently with FOX. At some
point in the future we will have some decisions to make about the GUI system
because internationalization is important.

Curt