freeride-devel

Re: [FR-devel] The current status of the FreeRIDE

From: Horacio Lopez
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] The current status of the FreeRIDE
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:34:46 -0300

[snip]
> In this ML, it seems that FOX is used for the first release of

As far as I know, the first release of FreeRIDE didn't include
any GUI support.
You are probably talking about the FoxSpike.

> the FreeRIDE. According to this policy, FXRuby/FXScintilla is being
> deveolped.

It will be nice to have at least one working implementation, I think it
will be great to have it.

> But, Vruz forked Rouge Project in Wiki Page and Rouge-ML.

I don't understand what are you trying to say here, and please let
me explain what is happening, because obviously you aren't reading
the Rouge maillist.

Talking acurrately, I only sent a message to ruby-talk asking what
was the general opinion about GUIs, and Sean Russell started
the Rouge initiative, baptized it and all.
In fact, Sean Russell has been talking about an ideal GUI for
many weeks before Rouge actually crystalized.

I supported Rouge actively and dedicated some time to it as well as
other 4 or 5 fellow FreeRIDE developers.

Rouge hasn't been forked, and FreeRIDE hasn't been forked either.

Rouge is (and will be) many things, a team, a platform, an API,
a wiki page, so there is no forking, if you read the Rouge Wiki
it says that its web page will reflect the results of agreements
reached by consensus in the Rouge MailList.

Rouge ALPHA overlaps with FreeRIDE in the GUI Framework
sub-project, as well as with other already existing projects like
Locana.

I created the Wiki page at Curt Hibbs and Sean Rusell's request,
and it looked to me like the FreeRIDE Wiki was the natural
place to build it, because we already had some GUI-related info
there, and our GUI sub-project would benefit from the work
of many other non-FreeRIDE developers.

We are developing FreeRIDE not just for ourselves, but for
the Ruby community as a whole, and we want to be able to
run FreeRIDE on every platform Ruby is available if possible.

Rouge overlaps with this interest too, so I feel like we have
been wisely investing part of our time resources, and also
gaining some benefit from the experience and insight of other
developers that are contributing to Rouge, but aren't
working for FreeRIDE.

If you ask me, I would really love Rouge to become a
great project by itself so FreeRIDE could become real
even faster, and without dedicating part-time to nurturing it.

> P.S.
> In my opinion, the cross-platform, lightweight, and intenationalized
> Ruby's GUI library is definitely needed. But, we should continue to
> develop the prototype of the FreeRIDE even if we don't have
> Rouge's framework.

FreeRIDE continues to be our main interest.

FreeRIDE is designed to become the future standard IDE for Ruby,
and it won't be stopped by Rouge nor any other project or initiative.

And nobody said it would be stopped.

Of course we will continue to value your opinions and your
work if you decide to contribute to make FreeRIDE an
even more interesting project.

cheers,
                     vruz