freeride-devel

Re: [FR-devel] Latest YAML format

From: Laurent Julliard
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] Latest YAML format
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 08:59:51 +0100

Rich Kilmer wrote:
Team,

There is a question that follows this very long email...

For those that don't know, there is the cool format for config files and
serializing objects known as YAML (Yaml Ain't Markup Language).

http://www.yaml.org

And the Ruby library was presented by its author "Why the Lucky Stiff"
at RubyConf.new(2002).  I really like how clean it is compared to XML
(easy to read, edit, etc) especially for configuration files.  The
coolest thing is that the YAML parser will read in these files and
create Ruby objects for you (in other words, you don't use the parser
like in XML, just classes and objects).  At the conference I downloaded
YAML Ruby library from here:

Q: Should we switch over to this format instead of XML?

If the answer is "no...let's use XML" then I will implement it in the
Configuration class.  I would prefer to use YAML...but I want to know
your thoughts.

Honestly I have nothing against the YAML format but I have nothing against XML either. However there are a couple of points that I am bit concerned about:

- It's yet another format to learn for our community of developers. I assume that XML is already well-known by everybody. I'm not sure about YAML.

- Are we sure YAML offers enough power to encode the properties file that we will save when FR stops (like keeping the list of open files, the list of breakpoints placed on each file,etc.) Again I don't know YAML so I'm just asking here.

- Is the Ruby community (or at least the YAML auhtor) committed to maintain YAML4R as well as the XML parsers are?

- The fact of using YAML for the config file will not make XML disappear from the scene. It is very likely that XML will surface in other plugins (e.g using the jabber protocol to help in pair programming or other similar cases).

- And last but not least, isn't this going to delay the availability of the first FR release....

All in all I think I'm not in favor of making this move for the first release. But again I have no strong opinion about that and certainly not a subject of friction for me. So Rich go ahead think about the points above and take the decision you think is better for you.

Laurent