freeride-devel

Re[2]: [FR-devel] Latest YAML format

From: Chris Grindstaff
Subject: Re[2]: [FR-devel] Latest YAML format
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 13:22:00 -0500

Saturday, November 9, 2002, 10:47:42 AM, you wrote:

RH> I have not really been involved up to this point but this would be my
RH> thoughts coming from someone that is learning Ruby. I would be more
RH> inclined towards the XML spec for these reasons:

RH> #01 XML is an industry standard and you will probably find many more
RH> people that could grok it over YAML.

RH> #02 I, being a novice programmer, would be more inclined to do something
RH> with XML because I can use that knowledge in other programming areas.

RH> #03 I agree with Laurent, we need to set "some" things in stone and
RH> build upon that. I don't think we should changed from XML to YAML
RH> because of this.

RH> #04 I also agree with Laurent and will phrase it this way. I know
RH> because XML is an industry standard that XML will always be improved
RH> upon in Ruby and we cannot say that about YAML

RH> So there are some thoughts I have had in the reading of your posts. I
RH> guess my "vote" would be stick with XML.  : )

I agree with Laurent and Robert on this issue.

While YAML may be simpler I think it makes sense to stick
with XML for the simple reason that everyone knows it. An important
issue in open source is how quickly folks can contribute; using XML
removes another barrier.

It's an interesting tension since the same logic could be used to not
use Ruby at all. <g>

Like others I don't feel very strongly about the issue but probably
wouldn't change from XML at this point. Time will tell whether or not
moving to YAML makes more sense.

Chris
--
Chris Grindstaff