freeride-devel

Re: [FR-devel] Not to create more work...but...

From: Laurent Julliard
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] Not to create more work...but...
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 08:07:09 +0100

Rich Kilmer wrote:
The scintilla Ruby API that we are using is a bit old.  The one compiled
into FXRuby is the newest (1.49).  There is a file named scintilla.iface
which contains an abstract definition of the scintilla functions, etc.
Last fall (before starting FreeRIDE) I wrote the  parser/generator that
generates the Scintilla module from the .iface.  There are additional
constructs that have been added since then that are now not accounted
for.
It seems that the thing is working for us, but it may be prudent to take
some time to bring this up to date. I am spending the next few days
(actually nights ;-) on the debugger.  Already made some progress, and
will continue.  Assuming we get that functional, I think I will switch
to Scintilla since its one of the most important things we have in the
IDE ;-)  I think we need this up to date before release.

Rich,

FYI I tried to switch to the stock FXRuby scintilla.rb myself a few months ago. This file is also generated automatically from the .iface file and like I thought it would be a much better idea to really on the file delivered by FXRuby.

However I remember that I ended up aligning our FR scintilla_wrapper.rb file rather than adopting the stock scintilla.rb becasue there was many little things that were different in the FR file (e.g. some additional processing on return values to make them more "ruby", method names different,etc.)

So I can look into this if you want but I don't know what to do:

a) switch to the stock FXRuby scintilla.rb file?
b) align once again our scintilla_wrapper.rb file with fxscintilla 1.49?

Laurent

After debugger, and while I work on the Scintilla stuff, others (Curt,
Laurent, ??) can work out the specific packaging of 0.5.0 (release
notes, documentation, etc).  Andy should have his new win32 release
within a week or so with latest fxruby & ripper.  That sound good?

-Rich