freeride-devel

Re: [FR-devel] Not to create more work...but...

From: Gilles Filippini
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] Not to create more work...but...
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:28:51 +0100

Laurent Julliard wrote:

> Rich Kilmer wrote:
> > The scintilla Ruby API that we are using is a bit old.  The one compiled
> > into FXRuby is the newest (1.49).  There is a file named scintilla.iface
> > which contains an abstract definition of the scintilla functions, etc.
> > Last fall (before starting FreeRIDE) I wrote the  parser/generator that
> > generates the Scintilla module from the .iface.  There are additional
> > constructs that have been added since then that are now not accounted
> > for.
> >
> > It seems that the thing is working for us, but it may be prudent to take
> > some time to bring this up to date. I am spending the next few days
> > (actually nights ;-) on the debugger.  Already made some progress, and
> > will continue.  Assuming we get that functional, I think I will switch
> > to Scintilla since its one of the most important things we have in the
> > IDE ;-)  I think we need this up to date before release.
> >

> Rich,
>
> FYI I tried to switch to the stock FXRuby scintilla.rb myself a few
> months ago. This file is also generated automatically from the .iface
> file and like I thought it would be a much better idea to really on
> the file delivered by FXRuby.
>
> However I remember that I ended up aligning our FR
> scintilla_wrapper.rb file rather than adopting the stock scintilla.rb
> becasue there was many little things that were different in the FR
> file (e.g. some additional processing on return values to make them
> more "ruby", method names different,etc.)
>
> So I can look into this if you want but I don't know what to do:
>
> a) switch to the stock FXRuby scintilla.rb file?
> b) align once again our scintilla_wrapper.rb file with fxscintilla 1.49?
>
> Laurent

The scintilla.rb provided with FXRuby is generated from scintilla.iface
using a ruby script: iface.rb. I first wrote this script which is now
maintained by Lyle Johnson in the FXRuby CVS repository.
If you end up deciding the FXRuby's scintilla.rb is not appropriate for
FreeRIDE, I think we should work on the iface.rb script so that is suits
our needs instead of hand working on scintilla_wrapper.rb.

_gilles.