[ft-devel] Re: [freetype-autohint] Bitstream Vera and tilde

From: August Karlstrom
Subject: [ft-devel] Re: [freetype-autohint] Bitstream Vera and tilde
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:42:05 +0200

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
[Please use freetype-devel for further communication; we have moved
FreeType to savannah.nongnu.org.]

I use Ubuntu Linux 5.04 where Bitstream Vera is the default system
font.  I get the best font rendering results with autohinting
enabled (sudo dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig).  The problem is that
with autohinting, the tilde symbol (~) in 8 pt is displayed as a
dash (-).  As far as I know all other characters are displayed
correctly.  Is there a way to fix this?

Is it?  I can't see that with ftview, neither at 72dpi nor 96dpi.

Sorry, actually it's not Bitstream Vera. The default fonts I'm talking about are named Sans, Serif and Monospace (don't know if they have "real" names). I'm using a screen resolution of 800x600 and 96 dpi.

Anyway, I don't think that this is easy to handle.  Main reason is
that Vera has a lot of TrueType instructions which changes the shape
depending on the size.  For small sizes, it exaggerates the vertical
extent of the tilde so that the rasterizer actually displays a tilde.
The autohinter can't do that.

That's a great shame since (at least on my monitor) the autohinter clearly gives the best result.

August