[ft-devel] Re: [freetype-autohint] Bitstream Vera and tilde

From: August Karlstrom
Subject: [ft-devel] Re: [freetype-autohint] Bitstream Vera and tilde
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:17:57 +0200

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
Is it?  I can't see that with ftview, neither at 72dpi nor 96dpi.

Sorry, actually it's not Bitstream Vera. The default fonts I'm
talking about are named Sans, Serif and Monospace (don't know if
they have "real" names). I'm using a screen resolution of 800x600
and 96 dpi.

Without knowing which font you use we can't help at all.

I have compared Monospace and Bitstream Vera Sans Mono and they seem to be the same font. Anyway, if I select Bitstream Vera Sans Mono 8 pt as the Terminal font in the GNOME menu (System -> Preferences -> Font) I get the incorrect rendering of tilde (it can't be distinguished from a dash). I consider this a bug. Even if the characters are not beautifully rendered they must at least be distinguishable.

I use the resolution 800x600, 96 dpi and the autohinter (configured with `dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig'). If I increase the dpi to 104 then tilde is correctly displayed, but then the font size is as large as if I would have selected 9 pt (which also gives the correct rendering). On my screen a 8 pt font is not very small at all and 9 pt feels too large.

You say that you can't reproduce the problem. Tell me what settings you have tried.

Regards,

August