Re: [glob2-devel] New unit allocation system almost done

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] New unit allocation system almost done
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 23:56:17 -0400

My last commit is probably the last major change in unit allocation
code. Also, Market exchanges between teams no longer work, allmost all
of the code has been purged. I've never actually seen the code work,
in my entire time playing the game.

Once I add in markets, the new unit allocation system is pretty much
done. Improvements can be made as ideas come along. Be on the lookout
for bugs, and if you see them, it is critical that you can reproduce
them. Unfortenetly, most of the unit allocation state refreshes during
loads and saves, so sometimes that might be a problem when the
Autosave is very close to the event.

I noticed 2 bugs that I wasn't able to solve because I wasn't able to
reproduce (even after countless times trying).
1) Sometimes level 1 Inns, when being upgraded (by reach to infinity),
would not go into upgrade mode, but would stay in waiting mode, where
it waits for units to clear the area arround it, and it waits for
units inside to finish their business. I've seen buildings appear
stuck like this, however, if u cancel construction and restart the
upgrade, it works fine. Its unlikely to be narrowed to reach to
infinity, and its likely not just level 1 inns either. But thats the
only time i've noticed this bug.

2) Later in reach to infinity tests on Big Pond, where there are 600
some odd units, I've noticed when i place an Inn or hospital, the
number of units working seems to flicker, as in a unit would be hired
and immeddiattly quit afterwards. I did some back tracing and
discovered that the unit quit because it couldn't path find to the
building, which I fiind very odd. Having access to the building is one
of the predicates when picking out units. The code is the same as in
the old system. I tried to delve into the pathfinding system but got
quickly discouraged and I left this bug hanging. I haven't had much
success in reproducing it either.
--
Really. I'm not lieing. Bradley Arsenault.