[glob2-devel] Nicowar Update!

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: [glob2-devel] Nicowar Update!
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 01:35:10 -0400

I went back over Nicowar again. I tested it on a wide variety of maps, evaluated its performance and I've made several improvements. Most notably, it now manages food much better. This includes barrior-backed farming, adjusting the number of units assigned to inns and swarms, and turning off swarms if we are in a food deficet, and turning them down when there are allot of units eating (a pre-emptive tactic).

It also attacks sooner, but it still waits untill its "ready". So this far improves performance on maps where it has a hard time reaching its warrior minimums, but doesn't rollback performance on maps with lots of food, where it has no trouble maintaining its size-oriented colony. Some of my other changes inlcude more intelligent building placement.

On maps where Nicowar performed bad (like Isles or Garden 3), it now performs with marginal to good performance. It also keeps itself from overflowing with workers, which substantially improved performance in longer games on maps like Big Pong and Four Squares.

I just watched it play a very interesting game on Isles. It had wiped out one castor and was beating on another when the third rushed into its base. It had no warriors here (they where all off fighting) and was beaten close to extiction, completely wiped out on the original base. Thankfully however it had a few inns and stuff on another island, which it quickly expanded thanks to the starving-recovery code. The third castor pulled out from the main base to attack the alternative one, where my Nicowars adaptive style started re-building in the original base, and quickly put itself back together. The barrior-backed farming caused the original base to overgrow, and only one entrance there was to it. Its leftover workers put together new barracks quickly, and it soon had an army to defend itself with. The second base was being attacked still. The castor came to attack Nicowar one last time, however it defended with level 3 warriors, and soon attacked the enemy castor itself. The enemies warriors where still caught at the second base fighting, and castor lost. I looked at the end game screen, and there is this very humerous and very large dip in the number of units, going from 119 units to 26, and then it started climbing back up again.

I need some sort of defense mechanism, to keep it from being nearly wiped out in the first place.

--
Really. I'm not lieing. Bradley Arsenault.