Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Extension language

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Extension language
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 22:23:25 -0700

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 12:58:42PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Isn't it possible that vim users simply don't have an extension-
> writing culture?  I mean, if writing extensions came naturally to
> them, wouldn't they be Emacs users instead?

Not a good place for an editor war...

I am a former Emacs user.  I switched to vim because of wrist problems.
The state model of vi is more difficult to extend (although Bram has
done an amazing job of it).  I think emacs has lots of extensions
(calculators, mail readers, news readers, ...) because it was designed
not as much to be extensible, but as an extension.  Vim was designed to
be an editor.  As much as I like the extensibility, I have found the
editing features more important to me.

I guess I missed what these extensions are for.  Are we talking about
well-integrated bindings so that it is easy to write
perl/python/ruby/ocaml/cobol code to manipulate arch things?  There is
still advantage to having one standard script language, since we can
then share code we write.

Or, are we talking about plugins for various things?

Dave