Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Extension language

From: Paul Hedderly
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Extension language
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:18:59 +0100

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 01:49:37PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     >> I mean, if writing extensions came naturally to them, wouldn't
>     >> they be Emacs users instead?
>
>     Joshua> There are a lot of other factors that influence an Emacs
>     Joshua> vs. Vim preference.  After using Vim for a while I tried
>     Joshua> to like Emacs but I was so used to Vim's modality that
>     Joshua> having to hit CTRL-foo to do anything drove me crazy.
>
> Precisely.  vim does exactly what you need, and no more.  No need for

Absolute tosh. My bet is that 99% of vi users use about 10% of it's
features. With vim that goes to 99% of vim uses know about and use about
2% of vims features.

Emacs may have an even worse ratio!

> Again, a different culture.  My Emacs processes don't have "startup
> time" in any practical sense, it's part of system boot.  (XEmacs
> in fact can be used as a login shell.)

I would love to get into Emacs - I just have the time to learn another
language, and way of working. It just seems to steep a learning curve
before it becomes of much value.

--
Paul