Re: [Gnu-arch-users] hook questions

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] hook questions
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:28:11 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>

    >   The latest documentation for hooks lists a lot of variables that don't
    > seem to be set anymore.  All I get is ARCH_ARCHIVE, ARCH_REVISION, and
    > ARCH_TREE_ROOT on commit and precommit.

I haven't exhaustively double-checked but I think that the
catch-phrase in the documentation is where it says that the variables
listed are passed "when appropriate".   Not every hook is called with
every variable.

If there's some particular hook where you think a variable is needed
that isn't passed, let us know.

    >   Is there a reason we definitely do not want the individual variables
    > set?  While that seems to provide enough information, it means every
    > hook needs to parse the stuff (since I imagine it's going to be pretty
    > common need less than the full revision).

You mean something like setting ARCH_CATEGORY (normally only passed
for the `make-category' hook) in, say, `commit'?

That'd be fine.

    >   Secondly, is precommit run before figuring out what files have
    > changed?  I.e. would it be an appropriate place to do some last-minute
    > modification of files?

No, it would be not.   Currently the right place to do that is before
calling `commit'.   Not much work gets done in `commit' before making
the changeset.