Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: arch protocol, smart server, and tla implement

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: arch protocol, smart server, and tla implementation prototypes
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:09:16 -0500

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 17:45, Scott Parish wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 10:33:11PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
>
> > Using ssh for anonymous access is nuts.
>
> So is another protocol that end users are going to have to worry about
> getting through firewalls (both ways).

I intend to support a Subversion-like arch+ssh:// protocol, which is
basically just the arch protocol tunneled over ssh.  The client just
execs "archd --client" on the server, which speaks over a unix domain
socket to the real server.  You can do authentication by grabbing the
credentials from the socket.

If you don't want to give them shell accounts, you could just set their
shell to a tiny C program which cleans the environment and runs "archd
--client".