Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Trying out the new escaping version...

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Trying out the new escaping version...
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 07:34:02 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Jan Hudec <address@hidden>

    > On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:32:38 +0100, address@hidden wrote:
    > > I made the changes i promised:

    > >  versionfix-1
    > >   accept escaped filenames on add, delete, move, id, library-file,
    > > file-diffs, commit

    > Unfortunately this breaks more than fixes, because usualy the filename
    > is NOT from tla. And thus it WON'T be escaped.

    > In other words I expect this to work:
    > $ mkdir foo\\bar
    > $ tla add foo\\bar
    > But it says:
    > PANIC: Illegal escape sequence!

    > Please, make this behaviour optional, non-default before mergeing
    > anywhere!

Indeed -- the behavior (unescaping of command-line arguments)
shouldn't be there at all, optionally or otherwise.

A generic tool for applying a command to arguments, some of which are
escaped, is needed.   Modifying every command that takes filename
arguments to sometimes do unescaping is undesirable.