Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] political action call

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] political action call
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:42:30 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Neil Stevens <address@hidden>

    > I suggest you research what goes in in the creation of stem cell
    > lines.  Human life is created for the sole purpose of destroying
    > it in the name of research.

My intuition is that you will get further persuading the hacker-types
who read this list if, instead of insisting on resolving the debate
about "when human life begins", _you_ do some research and argue
instead about the sheer _hubris_ not only of stem-cell research, but
of many areas of modern medical and genetic research.  Pride cometh
before a fall, they say.

It seems to me that the more serious question arises from the fact
that regardless of how we _regulate_, with laws, such research, it
_will_occur_.   (Unless, perhaps, you are certain that god will smite
those who try.)

If we agree that some moderation is necessary, even though you and I
probably disagree on exactly where to draw the line, the next question
then is how to institute that moderation.   Somehow, I don't think
that outlawing it within this or that state and bringing the police to
bear on the issue is really the most effective approach.    Such an
approach is likely to accomplish many things, none of which are the
actual goal.

"And yet,
we could all
be