[Gnu-arch-users] star-merge and unrelated trees

From: Jani Monoses
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] star-merge and unrelated trees
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 10:53:06 +0300

Hello

I tried star-merging jblack's devo branch into my tree and got the unrelated
trees error.
Both James' branch and the one I am using are tags of Tom's devo--1.3 but at
different patch levels.This is what the first entries from tla ancestry look
like:

address@hidden
  tla--devo--1.3
    patch-12 ... base-0
address@hidden
  tla--devo--1.3
    patch-28 ... base-0

and

address@hidden
  tla--imho--1.3
    patch-9 ... base-0
address@hidden
  tla--devo--1.3
    patch-6 ... base-0

Why cannot star-merge figure out they have Tom's devo--1.3--patch-6 as
ancestor?
I searched the gau archives for similar problems and using join-branch to
James' version I could get star-merge to work. Those mails also mentioned that
this is not needed if you pass star-merge the --reference option but that did
not work for me. I tried to pass James' and Tom's version but none worked.

So I solved my problem, but I am not sure why it was a problem and whether
this is how it is supposed to be.
Could someone please enlighten me?

thanks
Jani