Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch Cache & cached archives

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch Cache & cached archives
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 09:09:43 +1000

On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 06:22, James Blackwell wrote:
> Tom Lord:
> > Have you noticed, incidently, that free software and (shudder) "open
> > source" browswers make greater and greater progress in the market the
> > more they (fairly recently) concentrate on slimming down?
>
> I've seen quite the opposite, myself. As free software has grown, it has
> done so by adding features. If you compare mozilla's features over the
> last year with the number of mozilla's usage growth over the last year,

Past year I can't say, but in the bigger picture:

Mozilla was big and bloated - mail, news, bookmark management, browser,
IMAP, LDAP, and every which thing was in there. It wasn't lithe in the
slightest.

So Firefox comes along. The New Paradigm (do one thing, well - ohhh,
ahhh, so original, like, what a concept, small and orthogonal). And
Firefox seems, perhaps I'm totally wrong but seems to me as though it's
been grabbing market share in a big way.

Just my personal, non-numerical data point of course...

cheers
zen