Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: how to add comments to revisions

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: how to add comments to revisions
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:17:40 +0000

On 12 Oct 2005 17:08:58 +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:

> Mikhael Goikhman <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > You may still use tla, that just works. If you are risky, you may use baz
> > as well, that works well for simple usages. For more non-trivial usages,
> > in my experience, it may periodically show slowness, panic exits and lots
> > of small annoyances (input verification, stdout vus stderr for chat).
>
> This is your personal experience, but Canonical is managing a very
> large number of archives, and actually developed Bazaar because tla
> didn't feet their needs.

If you mean the archives with only one long branch (imported cvs history)
found on bazaar.ubuntu.com, or with one centralized-developement branch
(may only guess here), then, yes, my use cases are quite different.

> About reliability, Bazaar development introduced some new bugs, but
> also fixed a lot of bugs that Tom never fixed in tla. Try to do a "tla
> get address@hidden/..." for example. Therefore, in practice, whether
> you find tla or baz more reliable really depends on your user profile.

You are right, it is all personal. I am very annoyed by many baz
behaviours, and find tla-1.2 or tla-1.3 to suit me fine (except for
selective undo that I perform using tla-1.2.2rc2). Maybe this is because
I use arch-magic tools along-side with tla, that help me a lot.

Ack on Tom being a bad maintainer [as opposed to a scientist]. :)

Regards,
Mikahel.