Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU Arch wiki being moved

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU Arch wiki being moved
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 01:23:13 +0200

Thomas Lord wrote:
> The V2-only wiki status is unfortunate and I'd add it to the
> list of what I think are Canonical's gratuitous
> `screw you' behavior visited upon the GNU Arch project.

You would be mistaken.

The GPLv2 policy of the wiki was set by James Blackwell, well before he
ever heard of Canonical. We argued the licensing on IRC and the
discussion ended as he said essentially "I'm hosting this wiki on my
machine out my pocket money, I get to choose the license".

The initial wiki announcement:
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnu-arch-users/2004-01/msg00256.html

At this point, there was no Canonical (by this name or any other).

The message where James reaffirmed GPLv2-only licensing:
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnu-arch-users/2004-03/msg00327.html

James Blackwell was initially contacted by Canonical in August 2004.

QED, Canonical had exactly zero influence on this licensing policy.

People who have been around and paying attention long enough know that
you had interpersonal issues with James, predating his involvement with
Canonical by a long stretch. Attributing these issues to the company is
amalgamation.

--
                                                            -- ddaa