Re: Package format/management ramblingss

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Package format/management ramblingss
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 17:02:11 -0400

    For the short term I think we should extend stow into something that
    can be used as the /packages file-system.  It will work essentially
    the same, only that one must run stow manually during installation,
    and deinstallation of a package.

This seems like a good intermediate step.  It does not require special
kernel features, and could be debugged on GNU/Linux.  Later someone
could turn the code into a translator.

    What I meant was that sometimes configuration files might have a
    complex format that makes it impossible to just concatenate it
    directly.

Could you give me an example?