Re: Package format/management ramblingss

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Package format/management ramblingss
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 06:36:43 +0200

       What I meant was that sometimes configuration files might have
       a complex format that makes it impossible to just concatenate
       it directly.

   Could you give me an example?

A XML file for example.  Or say that section A must come before
section B, and the listing of /etc/*/etc/foo.conf gives section B
before section A of the config file.  In short, configuration files
where the order of sections matter cannot be concatendated directly.
I could probobly think up more formats (which are used in real life)
that would need special handling...

It occured to me, you can't concatenate /etc/passwd and have comment
lines in it, since it doesn't have a comment syntax, the same goes for
/etc/groups, those are the only two I can think of right now.  Maybe
programs that read those files can be modified to ignore comments.