Re: about GNU Hurd

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: about GNU Hurd
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 03:00:21 +0200

   I would like to request yet again that we stick with Mach, or ditch
   the Hurd completely and use Linux.  Linux is already capable of doing
   everything we ever could imaging for the Hurd, it would be far easier
   to get Linux do all the other funky things we'd like than rewritting
   the Hurd.  Seeing that nobody wishes to maintain the Hurd, and Richard
   doesn't see any good candidates as maintainers for the Hurd, the only
   sane and logical solution is to put an end to the project.

Maybe this is what will happen after all though I do not like
this idea at all. As I am not skilled /capable to code an OS
myself, I can't, as you do, ask people to stop what they are
working on for so many years (decades ?).

I, for sure, would work on any GNU OS if things were clearer than
they are currently.

What I think we really need is simply to think twice at what we
want a GNU system be and stick with it; it implies to have clear
directions to follow -i.e. a roadmap and a someone capable to
manager/dictate how things should be -i.e. a project chief
leader.

>From my point of view, the Hurd just has organizational and
existential problems. We (yes I am saying we) just have to focus
on them and we have to fix them *first*.

        Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org