Re: [open-cobol-list] Another open source cobol

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Another open source cobol
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:47:53 -0600

First let me thank all the people who put their hearts and hard work into Open Cobol.

For someone else to take a copy of OC, rename it, and claim it, is wrong! I don't think their hearts in the right place at all.
Isn't there something in the GPL that prevents this kinda thing?

Just my $0.02,
Mike.

Domain Admin wrote:
Ulf,

Yes. Folks should check the forums. But it is simply Open Cobol under a new name.

A diff will reveal that some files have NOT CHANGED AT ALL, except for the addition of their copyright notice. There are several issues with this COBOL as well. I won't get into the technical problems. Their hearts are in the right place. I just hope that moving forward, rather than forking projects, we could get folks FIRST TO TRY
to work as a part of the OpenCobol team. This would speed development and
ensure that we are not working at cross purposes.