Re: [open-cobol-list] Another open source cobol

From: Joseph James Frantz (Aoirthoir)
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Another open source cobol
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 04:34:28 -0500

Since OC is GPL V2, they are compliant. If it were v3, then they would have to provide
a link to the source in the same way they did the binary. Not just, on request.

As far as the customer version, they still have to provide code upon request, if they distribute
the binary. If they do not, well that's another case. However, they also cannot sign NDAs
or other agreements preventing the customer from asking for code.

To be able to answer if they are compliant with the customer version, we'd have to know
just what that version is, and what are they distributing.

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 7:10 PM, David Essex <address@hidden> wrote:
First let me say that I have no issues open, closed source or
intermixing the two.

Erez Schatz wrote:
> For the record, this is, indeed, fully complient with the GPL license.

I'm not a lawyer, but in my view, the terms 'freely available' and 'upon
an email request' are subject to interpretation.

Secondly, according to the post on the OC forum by 'The COBOL-IT Staff',
 > We have thoroughly debugged and now support our version of VBISAM
VBISAM is distributed under the LGPL license.

Version '1.2.6' includes the VC library 'vbisam20.lib', but no source
code or link. Is this fully compliant with the LGPL license ?

Joseph James Frantz
(Aoirthoir)

http://www.add1tocobol.com
Regular add1tocobol meetings:
Where: FREENODE IRC
Channel: #add1tocobol
Access from the web: http://www.add1tocobol.com/chat.php
Date: Sundays
Time: 9:00am Eastern

::::::::NOTE IMPORTANT::::::::::
There has been some confusion as to the time. I believe this is because the United States uses Daylight Savings Time. On top of this the Government recently extended the dates that EDT (eastern daylight time) would run. So to be sure that you make it at 9am Eastern, I have this link:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=179

That shows the time in New York City at the moment of viewing. It also explains the current UTC offset for the Eastern Zone in the United States. Simply compare the current time that site states, with your current time and you will know how far off we are from you.

We're there all of the time, even when we do not have a meeting. Stop on by for Open Cobol Support and chat.