Re: [open-cobol-list] Problems with Display of multiple fields.

From: Chris Geldenhuis
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Problems with Display of multiple fields.
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 15:56:03 +0200

On 05/01/2012 03:20 PM, vince wrote:
Hi;
On Tuesday 01 May 2012 08:31:46 Chris Geldenhuis wrote:
Despite what is shown in Gary Cutler's excellent manual and used in some
of the examples in it, I cannot get a DISPLAY of multiple fields to work.

Previously in MFC I would use:

DISPLAY identifier at POS, literal, identifier etc and would get all
identifiers and literals appearing on the screen one after the other.

When I compile this in Open Cobol only the first item in the list of
identifiers and literals appears on screen.

I have tried this with the "at POS" clause where shown above and at the
end of the statement as it appears to be required by the manual.
You can use display A B C D.

or

display fred at 0101 with erase eos.
display john at 0120.
display a  at 0201

you cannot do display a b c d e f (etc) at 0101.
abcde should be in a 01 group (say zulu) within screen section.

eg,
01 A-Blk foreground-color 3.
   03 a  a pic xxx      line 1 col 1
  03 b  value "buckets of blood"  col 5.

etc

Then you can just do display zulu.

Thanks for the clarification Vince, I will have to think how to work around this as the suite of programs is full of:

display a at nnnn b c d e etc.

If I break this down to:

display a at nnnn.
display b c d e etc. I get a one line scroll down at the end of "a" on the screen

ChrisG