Re: [open-cobol-list] Problems with Display of multiple fields.

From: Chris Geldenhuis
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Problems with Display of multiple fields.
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 17:45:01 +0200

On 05/01/2012 05:32 PM, vince wrote:
Hi;
On Tuesday 01 May 2012 14:56:03 Chris Geldenhuis wrote:
Then you can just do display zulu.
Thanks for the clarification Vince, I will have to think how to work
around this as the suite of programs is full of:

display a at nnnn b c d e etc.

If I break this down to:

display a at nnnn.
display b c d e etc. I get a one line scroll down at the end of "a" on
the screen
I have migrated a lot of systems over from M/F, Microfocus etc to Open Cobol
over the last few years and most if not all did not use Screen Section.

I found it was easier (in the main) to create screen section defs for all
displays that used a screen full (or close) instead of individual displays.

However I did also have
display
accept

groups which I kept, must specified absolute screen locations eg, line col
mostly as display foo at 0101 (with fore and back ground colours as needed
etc.

Was not as long winded as I thought it would be but did make up quite a few
copy libraries of common code blocks that I just copy'd in to the right
locations others was just large areas of duplicate code that I turned into a
perform or turned in to a module that was called.

Depends on the job, but the largest migrate was 1000 -1200 programs/modules
runinng into a few million lines.  Sound like a lot but after playing with the
latest modules to get an idea of the issues just created bash or others
scripts to modify original code to OC with a lot less of individual editing.

Most of these were done within a month or so for basic changes.with another
month at most for final clean ups.

Easy money!

Vince

Thanks Vince,

This is basically what I am doing. There are a lot of common types of displays e.g error messages that I will use bash or python scripts to change to be acceptable to Open Cobol also a lot of stuff is already in copy books used in many programs. Fortunately I developed the majority of this system myself so I know where to expect problems.

Regards

ChrisG

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Live Security Virtual Conference Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/ _______________________________________________ open-cobol-list mailing list address@hidden https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/open-cobol-list