Re: [open-cobol-list] Problems with Display of multiple fields.

From: vince
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Problems with Display of multiple fields.
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 16:32:31 +0100

Hi;
On Tuesday 01 May 2012 14:56:03 Chris Geldenhuis wrote:

> > Then you can just do display zulu.
>
> Thanks for the clarification Vince, I will have to think how to work
> around this as the suite of programs is full of:
>
> display a at nnnn b c d e etc.
>
> If I break this down to:
>
> display a at nnnn.
> display b c d e etc. I get a one line scroll down at the end of "a" on
> the screen

I have migrated a lot of systems over from M/F, Microfocus etc to Open Cobol
over the last few years and most if not all did not use Screen Section.

I found it was easier (in the main) to create screen section defs for all
displays that used a screen full (or close) instead of individual displays.

However I did also have
display
accept

groups which I kept, must specified absolute screen locations eg, line col
mostly as display foo at 0101 (with fore and back ground colours as needed
etc.

Was not as long winded as I thought it would be but did make up quite a few
copy libraries of common code blocks that I just copy'd in to the right
locations others was just large areas of duplicate code that I turned into a
perform or turned in to a module that was called.

Depends on the job, but the largest migrate was 1000 -1200 programs/modules
runinng into a few million lines.  Sound like a lot but after playing with the
latest modules to get an idea of the issues just created bash or others
scripts to modify original code to OC with a lot less of individual editing.

Most of these were done within a month or so for basic changes.with another
month at most for final clean ups.

Easy money!

Vince