Re: [gnugo-devel] Couple of questions for the Gnu Go team

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Couple of questions for the Gnu Go team
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 15:32:46 -0700

> Really enjoy Gnu Go. I have just three questions:
>
>    - What operating system is used for developing Gnu Go?

Mainly GNU/Linux, though the program is quite portable and runs
on virtually any hardware.

>    - What kind of hardware would be needed to boost the development and
>    strength of Gnu Go? (Don't go too wild with this answer but assume
>    that you could get more goodies than the
> Hydra<http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3D1866>project.)
>    - Besides hardware, what other resources would be needed to take Gnu
>    Go to shodan and/or to win the Ing Foundation bounty?

Before big hardware would make a big difference, substantial
revisions would have to be made to make the program more parallel.

It is my understanding that the Ing Prize for a strong program
evaporated with the death of Mr. Ing. Has it been revived?

> I'm neither wealthy nor a philantrophist. It's just that I might be able to
> place a bug in the ear of some folks who might have an interest in this kind
> of a project. That's two BIG "mights" but I wouldn't mind trying.

Daniel Bump