Re: Free Software criteria -- about "Software distributions"

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Free Software criteria -- about "Software distributions"
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 13:40:36 -0400

    > Proposed change: replace "provide easy access to" with "automatically
    > install", else nothing that downloads files is a Free Software
    > distribution.  For example, OpenBSD provides easy access to Non-Free
    > Software, so should be Non-Free.

    Yes, I have removed
           "provide easy access to"
    and replaced it with
           "__work to__ provide easy access to"

    That is to say, there is an aim to make the installation of non-free
software
    easier, and such organization/distribution work actively to get such goal.

"Automatically install" is too weak a criterion for what we need to
reject.

Here's a real life example.  Most systems let the users select
packages to install, and most packages are disabled by default.  If a
non-free package is disabled by default, then the system does not
"automatically install" it.  But its presence in the package selection
system is still bad.

The criterion we use in the GNU Project is that of "promoting or
encouraging the use of non-free software".  This means anything that
would tend to lead people towards non-free programs.