Re: software distribution criteria -- The OpenBSD case

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: software distribution criteria -- The OpenBSD case
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 01:15:16 +0200

Richard Stallman wrote:
> What I heard is that all the BSD variants provide for easy
> installation of non-free software through the ports system.
> If this is true, then none of them is free.

I personally think the  "through the ports system"  rationale is not right
because of, using as simile a Debian case,

  Debian does not offer an "opera_i386.deb" package,
  however opera.com offers it.

  The Debian project can not avoid others offer their own .deb packages.

That is to say, the OpenBSD organization can not avoid others offer to
download in theirs sites such non-free software.

Note that:
  OpenBSD do not ship any non-free stuff, or have it on ftp mirrors,
  or have packages. All non-free stuff have is ports.

Let me know if we can tag OpenBSD as a free software distribution.