Re: Free Software criteria -- about "Software distributions"

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: Free Software criteria -- about "Software distributions"
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 23:47:34 +0200

Richard Stallman wrote:
> > I personally agree that the 'encouraging' word is not the right
> > word here, due to the below MJ's rationale: for some non-expert
> > people, just bugs in free software could 'encourage' the use of
> > non-free software programs which does not has such bugs.
>
> Weaknesses or faults in free programs could be part of someone's
> motive to use a non-free program, that is true.  But these weaknesses
> or faults don't explicitly speak in favor of the non-free program.
> They do not say, "Using non-free programs is legitimate."

They do not speak explicitly,  however the _fact_ is that

  "weaknesses or faults in free programs could be someone's motive
   to use a non-free program"

Therefore the 'encourage' criterion is wrong due to any buggy software
distribution would match such  "Non-Free Software distribution" criterion,

  "promoting or _encouraging_ the use of non-free software"

Instead of exposing it in abstract terms we could try to list the offending
cases. Maybe so it will be easier write the final criterion.

Additionally, listing cases it good because so the criterion will be more
clear and easier to apply:

  Software distributions must:

      (1) NOT include any non-free software

      (2) NOT promote non-free software

      (3) NOT work to provide easy access to non-free software,
              even if the default is all free software.

I think all you would agree with (1) and (2).  I personally agree with (3)
too, because it is "promoting", same than in case (2).