Re: Free Software criteria -- about "Software distributions"

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Free Software criteria -- about "Software distributions"
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 13:40:29 -0400

      * OpenBSD is Free because it does not ship anything that is Non-Free
        Software.

What I heard is that all the BSD variants provide for easy
installation of non-free software through the ports system.
If this is true, then none of them is free.

    Note:  Not all Binary Large OBjects (BLOBs) are Non-Free Software, because
of
    BLOBs can be data (not compiled source code) licensed under a FS license.

It is possible for a blob to be data.  However, we need to verify that
it really is data, because the non-free object code is typically
dressed up as data.