Re: [URI design]: query-string vs PATH_INFO -- mod_rewrite

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: [URI design]: query-string vs PATH_INFO -- mod_rewrite
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:41:01 +0200

Victor Engmark wrote:
> MJ Ray wrote:
> > "Victor Engmark" wrote:
> > > Unless this problem can be prevented completely, I suggest we scrap the
> > > idea. It's nice to have short URLs, but removing the variable names
> > > results in:

Lot of problems  :)

> > You should do that anyway: http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI
>
> Of course. What I meant is that with parameter names you'll have a much
> easier job, since there will be no ambiguity as to which parameter should
> get value X.

>    /vacancies?type=developer&org=CERN&field=webdev&min_salary=2000
>
> is (again, IMO) much more readable to an outsider than
>
>    /vacancies/developer/CERN/webdev/2000/
>
> An outsider would have to click the link to see that "CERN" is an
> organization, not a company, and that "2000" is the minimum salary.

I prefer too the query-string. I agree with you Victor.

> > > Also, this is a lot of work for IMO very little gain. [...]

> The point is, this could easily be extended to any filtering criterion by
> using normal URLs. No "//////CERN//", just "?org=CERN".
>
> I don't see where the problem is with using page URIs when appropriate.

I agree with you Victor, we should keep using "?org=CERN".

> Extra complexity which only benefits those very familiar with our site, and
> breaks URL readability, flexibility, and de facto standards. Those are
> hugeproblems which I'm sure we'll have with this approach.

MJ, I completely agree with Victor.

Anyhow you can work on your own Git tree and show us the code, if you want,
and talk about it again.  However note there are tasks a lot more important
than that.

IMHO it would be a mistake use PATH_INFO based URIs in our webapp.