Re: [URI design]: query-string vs PATH_INFO -- mod_rewrite

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: [URI design]: query-string vs PATH_INFO -- mod_rewrite
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 22:51:53 +0200

> > /index.php/ControllerName/ActionName/Param1/Param2/...

> I'd like to add something I just realized about this syntax: It's
> fundamentally inflexible, because when (not if) you remove or change a
> parameter, you don't know how to treat old URLs, which will come from
> bookmarks and search engines.

> Another thing is that optional parameters will lead to some strange syntax,
> since you'll have either URLs ending like "////value4/"

The current URI scheme would raise such kind of cases. When you add a new job
offer you use the below URL, with 'id=null':

  /offers?action=edit&id=&section=general

  /offers//edit/general

Ref.: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnuherds-app-dev/2007-10/msg00117.html

> Also, this won't work unless you force a rewrite for every single form
> request on the server. I don't know how much traffic this site will get,
> but I really doubt the gain of this is worth such a non-standard single
> point of failure.
>
> As far as I can see, this kind of URL is only usable when there's an
> unambiguous hierarchical structure to the contents, not for forms. Also,
> AFAIK it's not used by any of the big sites out there, probably for similar
> reasons.
>
> Comments / corrections?

I agree with you Victor!  So I propose cancel the below task, and stay with
the current query-string based URLs.

 cancel task: URI scheme based on query-string or PATH_INFO?
              http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?7012

About 'mod_rewrite', I like its flexibility.  However, when the project be at
production state, if we check that it is a problem for performance, we could
desist on its use.

Additionally, I propose cancel the below task. We could develop a new
architecture later only if it is needed:

 cancel task: Move the production environment to the new Klaus' architecture
              http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?6851