Re: Gobuntu listed at gnuherds.org

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: Gobuntu listed at gnuherds.org
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 08:56:12 +1030

On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 22:21 +0200, Davi Leal wrote:
> Karl Goetz wrote:
> > Davi Leal wrote:
> > > Gobuntu has been added as example to the classification list at
> > > http://gnuherds.org/faq#FS_criteria
> > >
> > >   "Gobuntu is Free Software because its policy is to
> > >    adhere to the Free Software Foundations four freedoms."
> >
> > I would consider Gobuntu no freeer then debian, just for the record.
>
> Thanks!. It was reported too by MJ,
> ref.: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnuherds-app-dev/2007-10/msg00146.html
>

> We hope that it is now fixed:
>
>   Debian  is Almost-Free Software because it is a general term
>    which refer to Debian GNU/Linux and all others Debian ports.
>    Besides, the Debian organization offers the download of some
>    Non-Free Software packages.

I'd reword it something like this:
Debian is considered Almost-Free Software. Debian is a general term
which refer to Debian GNU/Linux and all Debian ports. The Debian project
offers the download of some Non-Free Software packages from its mirrors.

>   Gobuntu  is Almost-Free Software because although its policy
>    is to adhere to the Free Software Foundations four freedoms,
>    it includes at present non-free software in Firefox, which
>    also auto-installs non-free software.

Gobuntu is Almost-Free Software. Although its policy is to adhere to the
Free Software Foundations four freedoms, it presently includes non-free
software in Firefox, which auto-installs non-free software. It also
allows downloading of some Non-Free Software packages from its mirrors.

>  Ref.: http://gnuherds.org/faq#FS_criteria
>

> As usual, flames are needed to improve!

Feedback, not flames :)
kk

--
Karl Goetz,
Debian user / Ubuntu contributer / gNewSense contributer